Rediscovering childlike imagination

There is something I have been pondering for a while and that is the world of the child and the imagination. I have thought about the world of the artist and how it links into the spiritual many times. As an artist and a christian I have come to realise in my own journey that Art is a most spiritual thing and imagination is a gateway into the spiritual. The many paintings I have produced have been ones that I have captured through prayer. I have said that painting is a kind of praying. I believe that I have interacted with the spiritual world through my painting which I will embark on once again in the near future.
It's funny the way that we seem to do away with imagination when we get into our adult years as if it does not have any use to us anymore. We relegate imagination to our kindergarten years, it's like we are scared of our imaginations. So we put our imagination in a box at the back of our minds and pretend we do t need it or want it. Because we have filed it away so far at the back of our hearts and minds if we ever need it we find it hard to unwrap. 
As a Christian when one takes a look at the bible it's like you need your imagination to understand what is written in the bible, it is full of metaphors and personifications and other literary devices which needs you to use your imagination. 
Jesus himself talks about how we need to be child like and not childish, he talks about us having faith like little children indeed if we do not come to him as little children we cannot enter the kingdom of heaven. This makes me realise that having an imagination is really helpful if not essential when engaging with the spiritual world and indeed when having a relationship with Jesus. No wonder so many of us struggle with having a relationship with God and even drawing closer to the spiritual world. 
So just because we are adults does not mean we should pack our imagination in the loft of our lives in a corner that we can't find. Because we will need it to connect with Jesus. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time to turn the light on!

Putting roots down in Manchester